Monday, June 7, 2010

My Two-Cents on the iPhone 4

Today was the day many have been waiting for as Apple unveiled the new iPhone 4 at the Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) 2010 in San Francisco, and this is the phone I've been waiting for because it pretty much has everything and then some.

The Design
From the two glass panels to the stainless steel band to the slimmer design, this has to be the sexiest looking phone ever created. Those who followed the initial leak a few months ago might not have been too surprised at the sleek new look since the model displayed today didn't change from the prototype, but up close it looks even more stunning.

The Bells & Whistles
Not only does the iPhone 4 look sexy, but it can do a ton of new tricks such as FaceTime (video calling), two cameras, the ability to record hi-def video with flash (and edit videos with iMovie for iPhone), and multitasking just to name a few. Add these cool new features to the the list of cool things the iPhone can already do, and you have the perfect smartphone (until iPhone 4.2 or iPhone 5 comes out). Even little things like changing your home screen's wallpaper is a nice added touch. Oh yeah, plus we'll be getting a Netflix app for free!

The Price
The only thing not slim and sexy about the iPhone 4 is the price. For those not changing plans to AT&T, we can expect to pay a nice chunk of change for our new toys (between $499 and $599). Of course new subscribers will get the discounted price, which has always bugged me. It makes sense to use a shiny new phone for bait, but throwing a bone to existing customers is a good idea too. I just hope the fact that my AT&T contract has expired means I can get the new iPhone for a cheaper price *fingers crossed*. In the end, it's not going to matter because I'm going to end up paying whatever Steve Jobs tells me to.

The Verdict
I want one! I've been biding my time, and passed up on the iPhone 3G and 3GS because this is the phone that I've wanted since day one. Is it nothing more than a flashy status symbol? Yes. Do I need it? No, but that hasn't stopped me before. Now, I just need to decide on the 16 or 32 gig version.

No comments: