Sunday, May 30, 2010

My Cooking Experiment Take 2

At the beginning of the month I blogged about my goal of cooking more, and with May coming to a close, I'm evaluating whether or not my experiment was a success. On one hand I did cook a lot more this month than ever before, but my enthusiasm for the culinary arts waned towards the end.

Also, I really didn't come across a recipe that blew my mind. Everything I cooked was tasty enough, but nothing I'd add to my list of go-to recipes, but I have had fun trying out new ideas. Right now, my tastes have been leaning more towards Mediterranean cuisine and stir-fries, but I'm trying to branch out. If anyone has favorite recipes to share, please pass them along.

The biggest drawback to this experiment continues to be spending money on food that ends up not being used. I've been trying to string along some recipes with common ingredients to cut down on the waste, but there are somethings that just end up sitting around like Greek style yogurt and various produce. I've always been hesitant to cook for this exact reason. I just need to figure out how to utilize my groceries better, but it's not easy to do so when you're a novice like myself.

With June right around the corner, I'm going to give this cooking deal one more shot to see if it will stick. So far, I've gained a sense of accomplishment when I have food I prepared myself sitting in front of me, but those feelings haven't outweighed the guilt of wasting food and money that's come along with it. Again, I'm sure I'll get the hang of things as time goes on, but I just hope it doesn't take too long.

No comments: