Monday, June 28, 2010

My New Toy: iPhone 4 vs. HTC Aria

A few days have gone by, and I'm still not sure if I want to take a risk on the iPhone 4. I still think a lot of the complaining about the glitches are being blown out of proportion, but I also don't want to drop a ton of cash on a product with known issues. Plus, Apple's response of "it happens and just hold it another way or buy one of our bumpers" was kind of off-putting.

I went to a Sprint store to check out the HTC EVO 4G, and man is that an ugly phone. I'm sure all of the Android nuts are wetting themselves with excitement, but to me the phone is way too big. A lot of people online are calling the EVO a mini-iPad because of its size. Once I actually had the chance to see and play with one, I was convinced that the EVO was not for me.

Then I went to an AT&T store to play with the iPhone 4, and the model I used didn't have any issues that I could tell, but I still wasn't sold. I meandered around the store and I stumbled across the HTC Aria, which is a mid-level Android phone for AT&T. I was immediately smitten with its hardware, and the interface seemed good but I'm far from an expert. Of course I had to go home to do some research on the Aria, and what I've found hasn't been really good or bad.

The experts online seem to think that the Aria is a serviceable Android phone, and while it's not as powerful as an EVO, Droid Incredible, or Droid X, it's still a decent little device. The only real bad thing I've read about the Aria is that it's not able to side-load non-market applications, but I have no idea what the means so I doubt that will factor in my decision. If I decided to switch from Apple to Android, Aria would be my starter phone. The thing I still don't know enough about Android or the Aria to be confident enough to make that kind of change.

Like I mentioned before, I've been committed to Apple and its iPhone for too long, and I don't have the patience to learn how to work a brand new type of phone (which is funny because that's the same reason why I haven't switched from PC to Mac). Plus, I started to pay attention to how I hold my iPhone, and with some minor modifications the snafu on the new phone really shouldn't affect me. It was fun playing the field for a little bit, but I think my heart belongs to iPhone 4...although I never say never.

No comments: