Friday, June 25, 2010

My New Toy: PS3 vs. Wii vs. XBox 360

I've never been much of a gamer, and I even donated my Playstation 2 and XBox to Goodwill when I moved from Portland because I just never used them. When I bought my HDTV, I toyed with the idea of getting a gaming console just to add to my home entertainment set-up.

I kept going back and forth between the three for various reasons. XBox 360 seems to be the cheapest for a bare-bones model which should be fine for what I would use it for (a few games here and there, but nothing hardcore). The Wii is probably still the "it" console to have, but part of me is waiting for the shine to come off of the apple. The PS 3 is a monster, but so is the price, so it's hard for me to justify spending that kind of money.

For the longest time, the tie-breaker for me was Netflix, so I ended up skipping the consoles altogether and went with an LG Blu-Ray player mostly because it could stream my Netflix Instant Queue without having to get an extra disc like on the PS 3 and Wii. Now, Hulu is what can sway my allegiances, and it looks like Sony's Playstation 3 will be the console to incorporate the standard of online video.

A few months ago, I blogged about how I'd be OK with paying a monthly fee for a premium version of Hulu if a suitable device could stream the video onto my HDTV. It looks like my wish is close to being granted, but I might have to shell out a pretty penny to take advantage of the service. Luckily, devices like the PS 3 are great multi-taskers.

So, as of right now PS 3 has taken the lead, but I won't be really looking at buying one until I get my new iPhone 4, and I don't know when that's going to be thanks to all of the glitches. I'm fine with waiting because Hulu on my laptop is still cool in my book.

1 comment:

yeah108 said...

Get all 3! :)
Got a PS3 and a Wii...but now there's a newer version of the "not-slim" slim x360 that's quite tempting. But if you must have one, PS3 is pretty sweet.