Monday, December 15, 2008

My Snow Day

Yesterday was the first snow in Portland, so of course the entire city practically shut down. I'm not complaining because that meant I had a snow day today. I really didn't do much with my day off; slept in, watched some movies, surfed the net, took a nap, but it was a nice little break from reality.

I also remembered how much of a love-hate relationship I have with snow. I love it because it's snow! Who doesn't love watching the flakes fall, the world blanketed in white, remembering the joyous times as a kid when you played in it. Snow really is a cool thing...unless you have to leave your house. I've lived up here in Portland for close to four years, and it only really snows a handful of times per year, so my snow driving skills are limited. Add to this the fact that I grew up in West Texas, and you can understand why the thought of driving in the snow is stressful. I'd love to live in a place where it snows fairly regularly, but I'd never get anything done because I'd be cooped up inside the entire time. OK, so I know I'll eventually pick up the skills to navigate slick highway conditions, but it's still an unsettling thought.

The past two days have been a nice little timeout from the rest of my life. I had the chance to marvel at the snowfall like I did when I was younger, and I had the chance to take some time for myself. Why can't everyday be a snow day?

No comments: