Tuesday, October 7, 2008

My Two-Cents on the Baseball Playoffs

So, the Divisional Series have wrapped up and I think we have two interesting match-ups to see which teams goes to the World Series.

ALCS: Tampa Bay Rays vs. Boston Red Sox

I'll admit it, I've jumped on the Rays bandwagon because I seriously didn't think they'd make it this far, but I'm happy that they have. I'm a sucker for the underdog, and you can't get any more underdog than the Rays (so what if they won their division). It's even better because they're taking on a division rival that happens to be the defending World Champions.

My gut's telling me that the Red Sox will win this series, which would really bum me out because the BoSox are one of my four most hated teams (along with the New York Yankees, the Atlanta Braves, and the Chicago Cubs). So, I might not be a true Tampa Bay fan, but I'm still going to root for them, and plus they could use all they help they can get.

NLCS: Philadelphia Phillies vs. Los Angeles Dodgers

I really don't have a horse in this race because I'm neither a Phillies fan nor a Dodgers fan, but this series has some old school charm to it. It's been forever since either team's been this far in the playoffs, so I'll be happy for either one of them.

If I had to pick a winner, I'd go with the Dodgers because of my west coast bias but they beat the Cubs, which in theory are better than the Brewers, so there you go. I'm just glad that both Milwaukee and Chicago got knocked out earlier after the screwjob that happened to the Astros, since both of these team ultimately came out ahead.

2008 World Series: Boston Red Sox vs. Los Angeles Dodgers

Again, this series would have some old school nostalgia since these two teams go way back, and it would make a lot of baseball fans (and MLB) happy. If this match-up does somehow occur, I'll be pulling for the Dodgers all the way. Again, there's some WC bias, but also I'm tired of hearing all the Boston sportswriters going on and on about how great their teams are. Then again, all of the gloating didn't help the Patriots, did it?

No comments: