Thursday, October 23, 2008

My Loyalties are Torn

The 2008-2009 NBA season starts in less than a week, and I'm trying to decide which team to throw my support behind. For years now I've been a Spurs fan, and I still am, but there's another team vying for my fanaticism...the Portland Trail Blazers.

Now, it might seem like I'm nothing but a homer since I've lived in San Antonio and Portland, but that's not the case. Both teams have great potential. First, the Spurs are an established team with four NBA Championships, so they're always in the mix to win it all (especially since this is an odd numbered year). The thing with the Spurs is they're getting older by the minute, and it doesn't seem like they did anything to get younger.

On the other hand, the Blazers are a young and up-and-coming team. Greg Oden's healthy, they've added Rudy Fernandez, and they already had Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge. That's a stacked roster, albeit a young one. I'm not saying that the Blazers are going to win it all this season, but they're on their way.

So, the question is who to support -- a team on the downslide of its dynasty, or a the young guns with a really bright future? It's going to be an interesting season.

No comments: