Saturday, October 18, 2008

My Aggies

My poor Aggies are really sucking it up this season. Now, being a Texas A&M football fan has never been an easy task, especially the last couple of seasons, but I had some high hopes for this seasons team. Yes, I thought the team that is 2-5 would be doing a lot better. Wishful thinking I suppose.

So, I'm convinced that Texas A&M is cursed because of a poor decision that was made almost 6 years ago. In 2002 Texas A&M decided to fire Head Coach R.C. Slocum, who had been one of the most successful coaches in Aggie history. The school was fed up because he was not taking the team to where they thought they should be. That may have been true, but Coach Slocum was far from a failure in College Station. Coach Slocum was 123-47-2, with 11 bowl appearances, during his 14 seasons with the Aggies. He never had a losing season. Compared to many college coaches, Slocum was very successful, but Texas A&M decided to let him go. Since then, the Aggies have gone 34-33 under Franchione and Sherman. Sure, Coach Sherman may turn things around, but it's not looking good.

I feel the way R.C. Slocum was treated towards the end of his tenure created some bad mojo for the Aggies, and I usually don't believe in curses. Then again, it is Aggie football.

No comments: