Sunday, May 9, 2010

My Kitchen: Week 1

So, I finally put my money where my mouth is and actually cooked for myself last week, and I have to say that the first week of my experiment was somewhat of a success. I still ended up going out to eat more than I would've liked, but that's because it's hard to break old habits.

Last week's menu consisted of three meals that were pretty straight forward and easy. Monday night I cooked up turkey sausage skillet with asparagus and orzo. It had nice flavor, and it's something I'll definitely try again. Unfortunately, I didn't cook again until Friday when I made a bow-tie pasta with chicken, bell peppers, and a little bit of green onion. Again, it was tasty enough, but I still have a long way to go. I was supposed to make Greek-style turkey burgers as well, but that recipe was put off until this week.

I'm still trying to put together another menu for this week, and I have some ideas, but one is kind of ambitious. The last couple of week's I've been obsessed with a Vietnamese sandwich called a banh mi. It's served on a Vietnamese baguette with assorted fillings, and the nearest place I can find one is in Austin. While Austin is not that far of a drive, I'm not willing to take that much time for a sandwich, so I'm going to try making my own. The thing is, they are more time consuming than I originally thought, so I'm putting that idea on the back burner for now. I am excited about tackling the banh mi though.

Right now, I'm thinking that this week I'll go for a stir-fry theme by making a sesame chicken stir-fry as well as a curried turkey version as well. I just hope I have better motivation this time around, and I stick to cooking more than eating out. I guess only time will tell. If anyone has any recipes they'd like to share, please let me know. I'm always keeping an eye out for new ideas.

No comments: