Monday, January 26, 2009

My Two-Cents on 'The Wrestler'

THERE WILL BE SPOILERS:

All I can say about "The Wrestler" is that I'm torn about it. On one hand Rourke deserves all of the hype and praise for his performance. The same can be said about Tomei, but maybe to a lesser extent. It also was a slice of real life, but maybe it was a little too real.

On the other hand, I didn't quite agree with all of the plot points. For example, we see Randy "The Ram" trying to make amends with his estranged daughter, and he wins her back with this heart-wrenching speech just to let her down once again. I know this is supposed to be a gritty, character drama about a flawed man, but why did he have to be the stereotypical "deadbeat dad"? I even remember saying to myself, "Don't f-ck this up", and of course he did.

Then, he spends the rest of the movie trying to woo this stripper, and when she finally tells him that she's there for him in order to keep him from potentially killing himself in the ring, he just blows her off. Why should we care about this guy when he obviously doesn't care about anyone else? Yes, he's tragic, and yes he's at a crossroad, but he clearly goes down the wrong path. I was expecting more focus on his relationships, and maybe a bit more feel-goodiness.

Now, I don't think all movies should have happy endings, heck I usually love movies with down endings, but I was expecting to feel a little bit better than I did when I walked out of the theater. Also, the ending left me a little unsatisfied, which is a little odd since I usually like unconventional endings (like No Country for Old Men). I guess I just had a different movie in my head, and I felt that the trailer really jerked me around.

Overall, it was good movie with amazing characters and performances, but I wasn't as emotionally invested like I was expecting to be.

No comments: