Monday, January 26, 2009

My Scrubs Rants

It looks like ABC is moving Scrubs around the schedule, which seems oddly familiar to what NBC did to the medical sitcom. I'm not opposed to having Scrubs on a new night, especially if it is in the best interest of the show, but having it on Wednesdays against American Idol seems like a death sentence.

Then again, maybe I'm just too doom and gloom because Scrubs has always only appealed to its fans whereas AI has broader sensibilities, so it may only be competing with Gary Unmarried for the scraps. Plus, Scrubs may get some Lost fans to tune in prior to their show going on air, and it gives the show a chance to be with some other scripted series rather than being stuck in between reality shows about the Border Patrol and hidden cameras.

Or maybe I'm being too optimistic with the previous scenario. I can't help but laugh at ABC's decision to move the show because it just reminds me of a deadbeat parent situation. Here ABC helps create Scrubs just to let it fend for itself, and then all of a sudden it wants to reconnect and save the show, just to let it down again. Scrubs' move to ABC may have gained it some attention from mommy and daddy, but it didn't get it that much more love.

It's just a little frustrating because ABC has a lot of potential for a good night of TV. I can't have my dream line-up of Scrubs/Samantha Who, Pushing Daisies, and Eli Stone (R.I.P. PD), but why not have the S/SW block with new shows Better of Ted and In the Motherhood (or maybe even Grey's Anatomy), and finish the night with Ugly Betty. This line-up could do well on Mondays (despite an overcrowded night, but more on that later) or even Thursdays (to appease Grey's fans).

The funny thing is this move may be a blessing in disguise because most of the fans are hoping for low ratings so this will be the last season, and the idea of it continuing or having a spin-off will fade along with it. Now, I've always been against having the show go on without Zach Braff, but I did warm up to the idea of a Dr. Cox spin-off, and I think this season could be a nice diving board for said show.

Out of all of the possible Scrubs spin-offs, the only two I felt could work would be Dr. Cox's Sacred Heart or Elliot's private practice. Now that Elliot's back with J.D., I can't support her own show since J.D. would have to be involved OR they'd have to break up...AGAIN. I'm not OK with that and I probably couldn't make myself watch it, so a Dr. Cox show makes more sense.

This season's building up to Dr. Cox taking over as Chief of Medicine at Sacred Heart, and future episodes seem to be focusing on his tough transition into this new role. I could see a show that continues his journey as Chief and dealing with a new crop of attendings and interns. They could even flesh out some of the smaller characters (e.g. Keith, Rex, Boone, and Slagathor) and let them step forward. Maybe bring back Heather Graham's Dr. Clock to play Dr. Cox's foil. This show would also bring everything full circle since Scrubs was about him as a teacher, and now we could see him as a mentee of Dr. Kelso.

Or we could just have a proper send-off for Scrubs, but I doubt anyone will be watching it since Idol will be on.

No comments: