Saturday, September 27, 2008

My Two-Cents on Scrubs: The New Class

For those who don't know me all that well, I only get excited about a handful of things one of which is Scrubs. I jumped on the Scrubs bandwagon after I rented the first three seasons from Netflix, and I started watching the show regularly on NBC starting with Season 5. I've stuck by the show over the past three seasons, and I was excited that it was going to get a proper final season...then the WGA Strike happened, which created an interesting scenario for my favorite show. I originally posted this entry on my Xanga on June 22, 2008 after I read some rumors that Scrubs may go on after the new season on ABC:

So, apparently there are some rumors going around that this upcoming season of Scrubs on ABC may not be its last. There are some talks that Scrubs may continue if this 8th season is a successful one, but it may go on without Zach Braff and Bill Lawrence. This really isn't too much of a revelation because Scrubs has been preparing to go on without Braff for the last few seasons, but this was supposed to be its swan song, so why keep it going rather than bowing out gracefully?

As a fan, I've been waiting for the final season of Scrubs for some time now. Season 5 should have been its last, but it's somehow survived for an additional three seasons, but the last two have lacked that special something that made the show great. Bill Lawrence promises that season 8 will return to form, so why run the risk of the show getting stale again? It needs to take its bow and exit stage left, not stick around for a possible encore. Then again, it's no secret that ABC is in need of traditional sitcoms to add to its lineup, so another season of Scrubs makes sense on paper, but can it survive without J.D.? My first reaction is no.

The show has always revolved around J.D. and his life at Sacred Heart, so No J.D. = No Scrubs. I'm not in favor of continuing Scrubs post-J.D., but I'm open to the idea of a possible spin-off because that's the only way this crazy idea could possibly work. Of course, spin-offs are not new to TV, and they're always hit or miss, but I can't help but think about the Scrubs spin-off possibilities.

I think there are only two possible spin-off scenarios that could work. The one that I'd probably like to see the most would revolve around Elliott and her life as a private practice doctor (which I know sounds like another ABC medical spin-off). Now, this show depends on what happens between J.D. and Elliott in season 8. If the two end up together, then this spin-off shouldn't happen because it would have to involve J.D.'s character. Sure, they could split-up yet again prior to the new show, but that could piss off potential viewers, but if they don't end up together this show could potentially work. I think Elliott's character is the most developed after J.D., and with a few tweaks, she can be a solid lead character of her own show. I would like to see Sarah Chalke become a regular on How I Met Your Mother, but the thought of her own TV show is kinda cool too.

The second spin-off would be about Dr. Cox's Sacred Heart. It would pretty much focus on Dr. Cox as the Chief of Medicine and how he runs the hospital. This idea probably makes the most sense because it has the best chance to maintaining the Scrubs universe. It would be like Scrubs, only not. Plus, you could keep most of the original cast around like Carla and Turk, The Todd, maybe even Ted and Janitor. They've also introduced some interesting, young doctors over the years (i.e. Keith, Rex, and Boone), and Dr. Cox could take a new "Newbie" under his wing. Again, this idea has the most potential, but I'm not sure if it would catch on at all.

There are some ideas that I think have no chance of working. I don't think a Turk-Carla spin-off would do so well because I don't feel Turk is developed enough without J.D., and I just don't like Carla's character. I can't see some of the other minor characters holding their own either. Could you imagine a show just about the Todd or Snoop Dog Attending?

In the end, I hope that season 8 is the end of Scrubs once and for all because it deserves to go out on top, and it shouldn't wear out its welcome and tarnish its reputation.

NOTE: There have been some new developments since I posted this entry, including the news that Judy Reyes (Carla) will not becoming back for a possible ninth season.

No comments: