Friday, January 1, 2010

My Changes

The end of the year is coming up, and that means it's almost time for the annual New Year's Resolutions to be formed. I keep saying that I'm not a resolution person, yet every year I'm on one of my blog's talking about what I want to change in my life. Every year it sounds the same...

This year I moved yet again.  This time I left Portland, OR for my home state of Texas, and even though I was heading home I knew that I wanted something new, so I set my sites on Austin. I haven't made it to ATX yet, but I landed in San Marcos which is close enough for now.

The reason where I'm living now is important is because I once again vowed to change my life, and I was convinced that a new locale would be the first step towards that change. Yet here I am living the same life I was up in Oregon. Hell, the rain even followed me down here. The words, "the more things change, the more they stay the same", are true. It's a cliche for a reason.

Life here in San Marcos is pretty much in the same rut that it was in up in Portland. I'm still single, I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my life, and I'm still trying to convince myself that I'm OK with all of it. I keep telling myself that it's only for now, and that things are going to change, and I continue to wait. Just like I did in Oregon.

It just dawned on me that moving from place to place doesn't really change anything if you don't let it. You're just going through the same existence, just in different surroundings. So, I guess what I'm saying is that my new resolution is to create the change that I thought would accompany my relocation rather than just expecting it to happen.

But at least now I have Whataburger...

No comments: