Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My Harry Potter Knee-Jerk Reactions

I had the chance to see Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince today, and my initial thoughts are torn. On one hand, this installment had a great combination of light comedy and dark elements. One the other hand, it just felt too uneven due to all of the romantic scenes. I didn't have the chance to re-read the book prior to seeing the movie, and it might have been heavy on the PDA, but some of the lovey dovey stuff in the film just felt unnecessary and forced. Also, my favorite parts of the book, Tom Riddle's backstory and the Half-Blood Prince plot, were glossed over. I would have gladly traded some of the Ron-Lavendar-Herminoe love triangle stuff and the Quidditch scenes for more Half-Blood Prince and memory scenes.

With all of that being said, I know that I need at least one more viewing before I officially make up my mind about the flick. All I can say is I wasn't as wowed by Half-Blood Prince like I was when I saw Order of the Phoenix or Prisoner of Azkaban. Then again, part of me was expecting to not like the movie, so maybe my biases are just taking over.

No comments: