Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My New Bubble Show

My love for Chuck has been well documented, as well as the show's bubble status over at NBC, but the spy dramedy is not the only show I like that is on the bubble. Unfortunately, ABC's Castle is also at risk of being cancelled.

Now, I'm more emotionally invested in Chuck because I've been watching since day one, and it has a mythology and larger storyarcs in place that have me hooked, whereas Castle is a by-the-book procedural. The thing is, Castle is a more entertaining procedural than all of the CSIs put together (and don't get me started on the other ho-hum cop shows on CBS). Sure, Castle has the same case of the week premise, but the chemistry between Nathan Fillion (Rick Castle) and Stana Katic (Kate Beckett) is fun to watch. Plus, Fillion is a pure pimp.

I'm a little shocked that Castle is on the bubble because I knew that the ratings weren't stellar, but far from bad. I guess I was wrong, and it looks like my new favorite crime drama is going to have the same fate as my last favorite crime show (Pushing Daisies), which is just saddening.

The thing is, I think Castle could catch on with audiences, even more so than PD, because it's not as quirky but still fun to watch. I could see the Fillion vehicle do well in a line-up that includes Desperate Housewives on Sundays (although I doubt ABC would give it Brothers & Sisters time slot since the latter is more established). Maybe even pair it up with Grey's Anatomy & Private Practice. Sure, I'm not a fan of those particular shows, but I'm for anything that would keep Castle around for a few more episodes.

Sadly, I don't see any big moves (or hope for that matter) in Castle's future, and more than likely it's a goner, which means it could join the aforementioned Pushing Daisies, Scrubs, Kings, and possibly Chuck on the list of my favorite shows that are not coming back next season. Sad day. This is exactly why I avoided watching TV in the past...the emotional let down is too great.

No comments: