Saturday, April 10, 2010

My New Toy: Netbook vs. iPad vs. iPhone 4G

While I'm not the most tech savvy person, I do have a pretty big addiction for fancy electronics. Last week was the big debut of Apple's iPad, and while I've been able to stay away from the Apple Store to play with the new "it" toy, I'm still trying to figure out what my next big purchase is going to be. Right now, I'm trying to decide if I'm going to go with a netbook, an iPad, or the new iPhone once it comes out. Each have its own cool little features, but there is no way I can afford all three, so it's decision time.

The thought of have a little, fully functioning computer is a pretty cool idea because who wants to lug around an already small version of a computer in laptop form. Everything I've heard about netbooks really haven't sold me on them just yet. They're not as powerful as a regular laptop which makes them a poor substitute to begin with, but being able to do most basic functions with a tiny computer is still a cool idea.

The new alternative to the netbook is the shiny iPad, which still seems like nothing more than a really big iPod Touch. I've read some of the reviews, researched some of the features, and I'm still not really interested, but I thought the same thing about the iPhone when it first came out. I do have to admit that the iPad looks pretty sexy, but it still doesn't have enough bells and whistles at this time. Buying an iPad now is kind of like dating a really hot chick with very little personality. Sure, you'll feel really cool at first, but you'll get bored pretty fast.

When it's all said and done, I'm almost positive that I'm going to end up buying the new iPhone once it officially drops. Buying my first iPhone was a really good decision, but I've been biding my time before upgrading. I've let the iPhone 3G and 3GS come and go because I was content with my first-gen model. I have a feeling though that the iPhone 4G will tempt me all over again. Plus, I'm pretty sure most of the features the iPad is going to have are going to be offered in some form for the iPhone, plus it'll be a phone. Multi-tasking is always a plus.

Deep down, I always knew my heart belonged to the iPhone, but I just getting antsy while waiting for the new model to come out. I just need to patient and avoid doing something hasty like jumping into bed with the first sexy mobile computing device that crosses my path.

No comments: