Monday, November 23, 2009

My Two-Cents on the Charlie Weis Drama

Let me start off by saying that I have no ill will towards Charlie Weis. I'm not a New England Patriots hater, and to be honest I really didn't know much about him before he went to Notre Dame.  With that being said, I'm ready for him to be ousted from South Bend.

For those out of the loop, Coach Weis has been on the hot seat at ND for some time due to a less than stellar record.



To be honest, I'm giddy about the fact that ND football has been struggling as of late. Again, it has nothing to do with Weis, rather it has everything to do with Notre Dame. Before Weis took over the program, Coach Tyrone Willingham was abruptly fired even though he had a winning record at South Bend.

Sure, Coach Willingham didn't take the Irish program to the same heights that it's been used to, and his record at Washington may have been for ND to say, "I told you so", but he wasn't given the chance to really shine, and I still think he's firing was uncalled for.

So, I was rooting against Coach Weis from Day 1 because I was unhappy with how Notre Dame treated Coach Willingham. I was even more miffed when people were rejoicing about how Weis took the Irish to a 19-6 record with two BCS Bowl appearances, all done with Willingham's recruits. He was the second coming of Lou Holtz...until his players took the field.

The past three seasons have been lackluster to say the least (16-20 with one trip to the Hawaii Bowl), and he needs to be judged with the same scrutiny that ND showed Willingham. Again, I have no personal ill will towards Weis, but fair is fair.

No comments: