Saturday, October 10, 2009

My Reminiscence

Earlier tonight I was driving one of the back roads in San Marcos in order to get to know the city a little better, and for some reason it reminded me of living in Portland. I guess it reminded me of exploring my new surroundings a few years back, so I started to become nostalgic, and I started to miss Portland. The clouds and cold didn't help matters either.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't regret leaving Oregon because it was the right move, but there are a lot of things that I'm going to miss. While I don't see myself ever living there again, I know that I'll be back to visit sooner rather than later.

At first, I was a little thrown by these memories because I'm not the most sentimental person in the world, but I guess it hit me that here I am starting from scratch all over again. I pride myself on my adventurous spirit and longing for new things, but I was also reminded that constantly moving around in order to have these new experiences leads to a lack of familiarity...a lack of feeling at home.

Maybe San Marcos (or better yet, Austin) will be it for me, and I'll finally start laying down some roots, or maybe I'll be off to somewhere new in a couple of years, but at least I know that I want someplace to call home before it's too late.

No comments: