Wednesday, March 11, 2009

My Two-Cents on Becks

I've always had this odd fascination with soccer, and I've been a quiet supporter of Major League Soccer since its inception, so I was pumped when David Beckham joined the L.A. Galaxy a few years back.

For those out of the loop, Becks was loaned out to AC Milan so he can be eligible to play for England in the 2010 World Cup, but sports writers and fans knew that he'd want to stay in Italy for good, and they were right.

After some drama, it was decided that Beckham will play out the rest of the season in Italy before heading back to the States to play for LA. There are going to be critics who slam Beckham for doing this and claim that his time in America was a failure, but I don't think they really understand the importance of playing soccer in Europe. ESPN gave Becks the chance to state his case:



Now, whether or not Beckham's time in the US was a failure cannot be determined just yet. People come out to see him play, and he created some buzz by coming over, so while he didn't make the biggest impact in the world, he did make a splash. I'm glad he'll be coming back for a bit, and if he decides to play the rest of his career in Europe, I'm not going to hold it against him because I enjoyed watching him in the MLS.

No comments: